The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Official Unofficial 2023 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Post by Christopher »

Alex Coffey
@byalexcoffey
Dombrowski says that conversations with Nola's camp about a contract extension have been broken off

"We think the world of him, quality pitcher, quality human being, but sometimes you get to this point where you're not able to consummate a deal that both sides feel comfortable"

================================

Among the many things that stink about this is that THIS was supposed to be our all-in year -- and while things could still turn out great in October, we're now looking at a 2023 without Hoskins & a 2024 without Nola.

I'm optimistic for Painter & Abel, but there's not way they're ready to be top-of-rotation workhorses next year. Thus in 2024 we'd preliminarily be looking at something like:

Wheeler (last year of deal)
Suarez
Walker
Falter
Painter/Abel

That's nice, but not something that necessarily inspires going deep in October.

If this is it for Nola, they need to continue to go "all in" and find a RH slugger to replace Hoskins. (I'm not saying that as an anti-Hall thing. Even if we add a bat, he's going to get a LOT of playing time)
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I'm putting it at 15% that Nola is a Phillie in 2024 ... and that might be optimistic.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Dumb twitter is dumb: "He’s a great 3 for a world series contender. He can’t be depended upon Game 1,4,7 or 2,6 against other teams 1s and 2s at that stage of the year. Can’t pay this guy unless Painter is able to 1,2 with Wheeler in the postseason. Need to go trade/int FA sign one otherwise"

Does that doorknob realize that Justin Verlander has a lifetime 5.63 ERA in 48 World Series innings?
If we're saying that you can only be an ace on a contender if your capable of throwing shutouts in games 1, 4 and 7 of the World Series, well, then there ain't a lot of aces.

Also, who the fuck are you going trade to land a dude who can start Game 1 of the World Series in Nola's place?
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Voit is now a free agent
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

To be clear, the back ends of the Mets' & Braves' rotations to start the season aren't what they were expecting, either.
Whose kids will respond best to the long season and being thrust into MLB situations?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I fail to see what putting Castellanos at 1B, even occasionally, solves in the current situation.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

1B at AAA works for me
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Mets DFA Darin Ruf.
Mets may find a taker in a trade if they eat his salary.
But if he becomes totally free, the Phillies should maybe give him a shot. If he has anything left, he can help with spot starts vs. LHP
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Philadelphia Phillies
@Phillies
Prior to today’s game, the Phillies reassigned the following players to minor league camp: catchers Aramis Garcia & John Hicks and infielders Jim Haley, Scott Kingery & Weston Wilson.

Additionally, the following players were optioned to Lehigh Valley (AAA): left-hander Michael Plassmeyer, right-handers Luis Oritz & Erich Uelmen and infielder Kody Clemens.

=========================

I think Plassmeyer is the biggest surprise to me. Maybe they see bigger benefit in stretching him and keeping him on regular rotation for an emergency. But I figured there would be regular innings for him in as the first reliever out of the pen in Strahm starts.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Christopher wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 pm Mets DFA Darin Ruf.
Mets may find a taker in a trade if they eat his salary.
But if he becomes totally free, the Phillies should maybe give him a shot. If he has anything left, he can help with spot starts vs. LHP
No…He is so done.