2023 Phillies Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

Michael Jack

Re: 2023 Phillies Discussion (Andrew Painter breaking news)

Post by Michael Jack »

This is why a team never has enough pitching. This is why many have said, "There's no such thing as a pitching prospect." I agree with the assessment that we won't see Painter until mid 2025. The thing is, a team is lucky to get 1 out of 10 pitching prospects to the majors and maybe on or two out of 50 to actually be a rotation starter. Remember the so-called "Baby Aces"? If you noticed this year's draft, teams shied away from high school pitchers - especially right-handers. The problem is if you don't develop some pitchers you probably won't be successful because established pitchers are too expensive. I would suggest the Phillies copy teams like the Dodgers, Braves and Guardians -- teams that seem to be better than most at scouting and development.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I agree.

With the minor caveat that the Braves are very good at drafting and developing pitchers -- but they don't have the greatest track with how they use some of those pitchers once they get to the majors. They're not very arm-friendly at the MLB level.
vegasphilly

Post by vegasphilly »

fkkkkkk.......

I felt this was going to happen.

Why wait 4-5 months???
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Exactly. Why wait?
phtown

Post by phtown »

Why wait? "He was healing"
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

phtown wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:05 pm Why wait? "He was healing"
Apparently, not. The Phillies have not had anyone "heal", not Robertson, not Dominguez, not Harper and not Painter.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

BelmontShore wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:50 pm I knew this the day they shut him down.

This is the problem I have with the Phillies.and the Flyers. Their medical staffs have sucked for too many years, hell, decades. The Eagles used to be this bad but they've gotten better and better, beginning since Chip Kelly's years.

They have wasted half a year, same as they did with Harper. They should have just done the surgery for both, Harper would have been back in April and Painter might have been able to get to ST 2024. Unless he's a miraculous healer, Painter may miss all of 2024. It might not be worth it to get him on a mound by mid season 2024.

Now he's not even a trade chip for someone like Soto.
If Harper is shut down last year, they don't make the playoffs. That one worked out
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:07 am If Harper is shut down last year, they don't make the playoffs. That one worked out
That's, of course, true.

That said, he was essentially out of the lineup because of the UCL and was only able to play because of the DH recently instituted.

The bigger point is that his rehab didn't "fix" his issue to the point he could play RF and throw. It should have helped to inform their opinion of rehab as an option for Painter, along with Robertson and Dominguez. DH doesn't work for pitchers. Lol.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

BelmontShore wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:12 am
FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:07 am If Harper is shut down last year, they don't make the playoffs. That one worked out
That's, of course, true.

That said, he was essentially out of the lineup because of the UCL and was only able to play because of the DH recently instituted.

The bigger point is that his rehab didn't "fix" his issue to the point he could play RF and throw. It should have helped to inform their opinion of rehab as an option for Painter, along with Robertson and Dominguez. DH doesn't work for pitchers. Lol.
Oh I agree on the pitchers. We all expected that Seranthony would need TJ as Painter does

It's a real shame
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:18 am Oh I agree on the pitchers. We all expected that Seranthony would need TJ as Painter does

It's a real shame
It's mismanagement, too.