2023 Phillies Discussion

Moderator: Christopher

Lipschitz

Re: 2023 Phillies Discussion

Post by Lipschitz »

Ranger Suarez placed on 15-day IL with a right hamstring strain (retroactive to 8/16). Andrew Bellatti recalled.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Marsh back tomorrow
Alvarado Monday
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Christopher wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:40 pm I take back every post from last winter in which I encouraged the Phillies to sign Rodon. Holy hell.
Which is why it's best to develop your own pitching. Sadly, even though the Phils seem to be getting better at drafting, they still stink at development. Might be a good idea to hire someone away from Cleveland or one of the other organizations that are good at this.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Christopher wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:24 pm To be clear, I don't want Nola back next year under any deal.

That said, it's depressing to see all the Twitterati who think handing $100M to Lorenzen is the answer for the rotation.

Lorenzen is talented and can be very valuable for next year's, but he's very unlikely to be a workhorse starter, nor should he be paid like one IMO.
It could be that Nola is playing his way back to the Phils. If he had a normal year, he might have priced himself out.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

Michael Jack wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:12 pm
Christopher wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:24 pm To be clear, I don't want Nola back next year under any deal.

That said, it's depressing to see all the Twitterati who think handing $100M to Lorenzen is the answer for the rotation.

Lorenzen is talented and can be very valuable for next year's, but he's very unlikely to be a workhorse starter, nor should he be paid like one IMO.
It could be that Nola is playing his way back to the Phils. If he had a normal year, he might have priced himself out.
Maybe he takes a QO to improve his chances after next season?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Skyjack wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:55 pm
Michael Jack wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:12 pm

Maybe he takes a QO to improve his chances after next season?
Not if he's healthy. He wouldn't want to risk an injury or even worse season that sends his market even lower. Plus, teams are paying for the front end of the deal, not the back end. He'll get 5/125, easily, probably more.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The interesting one for whether they make a QO -- and whether he takes it -- is Hoskins.

Very risky from the Phillies end. And for little "reward" ... If I'm reading the rules correctly, the Phillies' compensation pick for losing Hoskins -- if they extend the QO -- is an extra draft pick between the 4th and 5th rounds.

If they want Hoskins back, they should sign him on their own terms and as part of their overall plan, not risk getting stuck with an extra 1B/DH on a 1-year, $20M deal.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Looking ahead, it sure seems like Ohtani will pitch the second or third game of the Phillies series, but hard to say definitively. And he skipped a start already this month.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Ohtani gets just four outs today before leaving game with arm fatigue.
I would say that odds of him pitching in Philadelphia are less than 5%.

He'll still get his $500M and he'll deserve it, but the team landing him must have a very intricate plan for a six-man rotation and keeping him fresh.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:11 pm Ohtani gets just four outs today before leaving game with arm fatigue.
I would say that odds of him pitching in Philadelphia are less than 5%.
Moniak & O'Hoppe will hit enough HRs to make up for it