Flyers' 2023 Offseason

Moderator: OrangeCrush

sentinelhyder

Re: Flyers' 2023 Offseason

Post by sentinelhyder »

hart on his way out too apparently.

i am admittedly a casual fan now. loved the flyers growing up. is this going to be a rebuild? flyers are probably a distant 4th in this town, not sure a rebuild is wise but i dont know what the team is up to anymore.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

sentinelhyder wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:57 pm hart on his way out too apparently.

i am admittedly a casual fan now. loved the flyers growing up. is this going to be a rebuild? flyers are probably a distant 4th in this town, not sure a rebuild is wise but i dont know what the team is up to anymore.
Same. Loved them in the 80's and 90's. Recently fell off with them as the Sixers got better.

Kincade said it best. Having Hart is like having that (paraphrasing) sports car in the garage of your crappy house and you can't drive it cause you have no insurance.

Flyers have like 50 goalies on this team anyway.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

I already hate Briere and Jones.

What the FUCK is this? I am SOOOO tired of this organization failing it's terrific young prospects, then scapegoating them, then shipping them out only to have them become major contributors for a playoff team or a Stanley Cup run.

With the defensemen, they promote them to the top pairing too quickly, they pair them with the worst veteran dreck they can overpay, then they talk about how the player hasn't reached their bloated expectations when they haven't given him the tools to succeed. Let's not even talk about the instability in the coaching. What is Torts, Provy's 5th or 6th head coach?

[Elliott's Friedman of Sportsnet and David Pagnotta of NHL Network are reporting that defenseman Ivan Provorov is heading to the Blue Jackets while goaltender Cal Petersen and blueliner Sean Walker are going to the Flyers.

Peterson, 28, comes with a bloated $5 million cap hit through 2024-25 and had a save percentage of .890 over the past two seasons with the Kings. Between 2018-19 and 2021 he had a save percentage of .916 and GSAA of +11.0, so the Flyers may believe he has a bounce-back effort in him.]

The fuck is this? A failed, overpaid goalie position, the only position on the team with any talent and depth. Even if they trades Hart, they have Ersson who should get the job. They have FOUR top goalies in the system.

A stay at home defenseman? Another fucking pylon. Oh great.

Hate this fucking organization.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 pm Same. Loved them in the 80's and 90's. Recently fell off with them as the Sixers got better.

Kincade said it best. Having Hart is like having that (paraphrasing) sports car in the garage of your crappy house and you can't drive it cause you have no insurance.

Flyers have like 50 goalies on this team anyway.
Here's the thing. I'd have no problem trading Hart with Ersson taking the job. What I have a problem with is trading a player like Provorov for a goalie with a bloated contract when they already have depth and talent at the position. If they could trade Hart to a team with a lottery pick who desperately needs a goalie, great. If they packaged Hart with #7 to move to #2 or #3, terrific. But why saddle the team with $5m in dead money?
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Get what you are saying Bel.

Though I wonder if they don’t view taking in salary a big deal on short term deals because they don’t see them to spend big in FA for a few years.

Provorov was probably not signing in 2 years. The Flyers absolutely failed him, but Briere has to take a long view hopefully.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

According to Dan Siver on Twitter..

Flyers get Picks #22, 34, 54 and Helge Grans who is a prospect. Plus eating Salary ( 2 players) from the Kings.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

awfulstack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:42 pm Get what you are saying Bel.

Though I wonder if they don’t view taking in salary a big deal on short term deals because they don’t see them to spend big in FA for a few years.

Provorov was probably not signing in 2 years. The Flyers absolutely failed him, but Briere has to take a long view hopefully.
All true.

#22 helps.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:49 pm According to Dan Siver on Twitter..

Flyers get Picks #22, 34, 54 and Helge Grans who is a prospect. Plus eating Salary ( 2 players) from the Kings.
Maybe Hart and #22 gets another top 10.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Flyers ended up with potentially #22 and 2 2nds in 2024 along with with players coming here.

I think it’s a pretty good trade all things considered.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Also sounds like from Briere that Provorov might have asked for a change of scenery.

Glad he was early to the market to be honest.

Chuck Fletcher would have waited till everyone filled out their needs and then taken some nonsense for him or held on to him and it would have gone to shit.