2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Moderator: Christopher

Captain Obvious

Re: 2023 MLB Trade Deadline rumors & discussion (Deadline: Aug. 1)

Post by Captain Obvious »

Would Cody Bellinger be an option in a trade? He has played time at first I believe.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

An option yes, but they could use a RH bat
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:13 am An option yes, but they could use a RH bat
I hear ya. I'm thinking a few solid veteran guys who can come off the bench and maybe break one open late in the game.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:37 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:13 am An option yes, but they could use a RH bat
I hear ya. I'm thinking a few solid veteran guys who can come off the bench and maybe break one open late in the game.
Luis Robert Jr CF CWS 25 owed $27 mil 24 &25,then club option buy-outs $2 mil each 26 &27
Would cost a lot,but take a look at his stats.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

bigel57 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:00 pm
Luis Robert Jr CF CWS 25 owed $27 mil 24 &25,then club option buy-outs $2 mil each 26 &27
I guess the question is where do you envision him moving forward? Everyday LF in 2024?
Probably costs you something like Johan Rojas & Griff McGarry. Rojas could be a very cheap and productive MLB OF very soon.
My biggest probably with Robert is that he never walks, which fits in with a problem this team has.

I know the bats suck, but adding a major bat doesn't change that this doesn't win in October without Harper, Turner, Schwarber, Realmuto all contributing.

I think I still want pitching. We have literally been the best pitching staff in baseball the past 3 weeks or so, but we have to not get fooled by that. We still need some arms. I don't want to run Marte or Hoffman or Sanchez out there in a key October moment, no way.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Winkelman is way more optimistic than I am about the pitching. And he's also not taking into account the lack of depth if there's an injury.

WINKELMAN:

I don’t doubt you can get an upgrade on Sánchez on the trade market, I just don’t know if you want to pay the price of an upgrade on what he is now unless you want to go for a big time swing. Essentially I don’t know if it is worth giving up anything of value for a pitcher unless it is a guy who starts Wild Card Game 3 instead of Ranger. The thing they definitely don’t need is relief pitching. Assuming Song comes back and you want to keep him. You have Alvarado, Kimbrel, Soto, Dominguez, and Strahm as locks. That leaves two spots for Marte, Hoffman, Vasquez and you still have Brogdon and Bellatti.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:21 pm
bigel57 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:00 pm

I guess the question is where do you envision him moving forward? Everyday LF in 2024?
Probably costs you something like Johan Rojas & Griff McGarry. Rojas could be a very cheap and productive MLB OF very soon.
My biggest probably with Robert is that he never walks, which fits in with a problem this team has.

I know the bats suck, but adding a major bat doesn't change that this doesn't win in October without Harper, Turner, Schwarber, Realmuto all contributing.

I think I still want pitching. We have literally been the best pitching staff in baseball the past 3 weeks or so, but we have to not get fooled by that. We still need some arms. I don't want to run Marte or Hoffman or Sanchez out there in a key October moment, no way.
I hear you,but assuming Harper doesn’t work out at first,you really want Schwarber in LF in September and October
First priority has to be to get him off the field
They are bad enough defensively now .Can you imagine the potential disaster with him out there in late September with 7 games against the Mets ,Marlins,and Braves?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

We'll know soon on Harper.
Dombrowski said they'll know yes/no on Harper in time to act accordingly at the deadline. Maybe they end up trading for a 1B.

I think it just has to be situational with Schwarber. Very hard to leave him out of the lineup given the number of under-producers.
I know a defensive disaster can come at any moment, but I might experiment with Schwarber playing first 6 innings and then, depending on the score, Pache (or someone) for the final 3 innings.
bigel57

Post by bigel57 »

Christopher wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:06 pm We'll know soon on Harper.
Dombrowski said they'll know yes/no on Harper in time to act accordingly at the deadline. Maybe they end up trading for a 1B.

I think it just has to be situational with Schwarber. Very hard to leave him out of the lineup given the number of under-producers.
I know a defensive disaster can come at any moment, but I might experiment with Schwarber playing first 6 innings and then, depending on the score, Pache (or someone) for the final 3 innings.
Yeah,could see that..I believe he has played some first base somewhere , briefly .But he is as bad an outfielder asIhave ever seen Actually,only11 games ever at 1B ,so that’s not happening,so if Harper doesn’t play 1st,kinda stuck with him I left. Terrible predicament
Last edited by bigel57 on Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Definitely intrigued by Bellinger, but I really think the lineup balance we need is a RH hitter.