Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Post by mrmountie »

Sucks they let a bunch of quality bullpen arms get by them already. Hate Mids.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Philadelphia Phillies
@Phillies
The Phillies have added former players Michael Bourn, Chad Durbin, Erik Kratz and Kevin Stocker to their radio broadcast team, Executive Vice President David Buck announced today.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Didi still blaming the vaccine for bone spurs in his elbow.

Jesus this team is so unlikeable
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

So Johan Rojas.

Already saying he is an elite defender in center. Will start in Reading, any realistic chance he has an impact this year? I feel like a gold glove CF alone without the bat would be a huge boost.
sentinelhyder

Post by sentinelhyder »

I'll admit i knew nothing of Rojas until recently. if that's what they believe then the CF plan this year makes sense. somewhat.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

awfulstack wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 pm So Johan Rojas.

Already saying he is an elite defender in center. Will start in Reading, any realistic chance he has an impact this year? I feel like a gold glove CF alone without the bat would be a huge boost.
Everyone is talking about how bad the defense will be, but Schwarber and Castellanos won't make it any worse than it was last year. Good defensive teams are strong up the middle. JT is the best at C and Segura is above average at 2B. The problem is at SS and CF. Didi's range is gone, but I expect him to be better than last year. Maybe Stott is the answer in the future -- maybe even this year.
-
I think you could see Rojas come up mid-season.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Signing Castellanos means that, if Didi continues to fail/flail, they can pretty much just cut him loose and the loss doesn't hurt the offense nearly as much.

OTOH, if Didi and Stott are both contributing, you actually have that wonderful thing called depth.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:25 pm Signing Castellanos means that, if Didi continues to fail/flail, they can pretty much just cut him loose and the loss doesn't hurt the offense nearly as much.

OTOH, if Didi and Stott are both contributing, you actually have that wonderful thing called depth.
If Didi & Bohm are playing well enough to be the starters, Stott will start in AAA
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Michael Jack wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:16 pm
awfulstack wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 pm So Johan Rojas.

Everyone is talking about how bad the defense will be, but Schwarber and Castellanos won't make it any worse than it was last year. Good defensive teams are strong up the middle. JT is the best at C and Segura is above average at 2B. The problem is at SS and CF. Didi's range is gone, but I expect him to be better than last year. Maybe Stott is the answer in the future -- maybe even this year.
-
I think you could see Rojas come up mid-season.
Highly unlikely - 21 year old still learning how to hit

Maybe 2023
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Rojas is promising. Maybe he gets that "cup of coffee" in September, but probably nothing to count on this season.

Also still promising as a CF prospect is Yhoswar Garcia, who is further away but came in more highly regarded. He could end up getting a promotion to Reading by the tail end of this season, but what he just needs most is a full season of at-bats, be it in Clearwater or elsewhere. He's most optimistic upside would be a cup of coffee in late 2023. But between Rojas and Garcia, I think they're hoping that one of them is the answer in CF that higher-profile guys have not been.