Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Post by mrmountie »

Also if the Astros of all teams believe a guy is worth that then I'm probably not going to be backing the Phillies decision making in that match up.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

I have zero interest in Conforto. Average defense and speed, has some power, but it comes with a low average. I'm not giving up a draft pick plus international money plus whatever it would cost to sign him. I much prefer Schwarber, but if you sign him to play LF, it's crucial to get a good defensive CF.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

mrmountie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 pm Good deal for the Astros. Would have done that easily.
Yeah, the "not at that price stuff" doesn't fly for me.
Neris is an above-average late inning reliever. If you're going to go deep in October, you needs many of those guys and now we have one fewer.

2/12 might "feel" like the right price ... for 2016.

2/17 sounds right, especially if you're an organization that isn't annually importing 100-mph 22-year-old farmhands to fill out the bullpen.

Offseason list is now longer.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

There are going to be teams that got part of their offseason retooling done before the freezeout .... and those that are starting from scratch and scrambling alongside everyone else at whatever unknown date it ends. Look what category we may be falling into.

Phillies had too long of an offseason list not to get a head start. We shall see how next few days play out...
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Corey Seidman
@CSeidmanNBCS

If the Phillies signed a reliever tomorrow who had a 3.46 ERA, .205 opponents’ batting average & 11.8 K/9 over prior 3 seasons, reaction would be pretty enthusiastic. That’s Hector Neris, whose worst moments here were always amplified, understandably so w/ the lack of winning.

--------------
I do think Neris was a little overexposed and too familiar to the Nationals and Braves, which cost us some rough ones over the years. But in the big picture this is the kind of reliever you need in your pen.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Christopher wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:54 pm Corey Seidman
@CSeidmanNBCS

If the Phillies signed a reliever tomorrow who had a 3.46 ERA, .205 opponents’ batting average & 11.8 K/9 over prior 3 seasons, reaction would be pretty enthusiastic. That’s Hector Neris, whose worst moments here were always amplified, understandably so w/ the lack of winning.

--------------
I do think Neris was a little overexposed and too familiar to the Nationals and Braves, which cost us some rough ones over the years. But in the big picture this is the kind of reliever you need in your pen.
I just dont think that you spend 8.5M per for 2 years on a 7th/8th inning guy that is NOT lights out. Hector is good, valuable, but he is not lights out and not at that price
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

That's the market value for guys like that, has been for a few years. You're not getting much better for much cheaper. Drawing the line at 6 million a year instead of 8 is dumb. Oh man a whole Brandon Kintzler worth more huge difference there.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

headclown wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:48 am I just dont think that you spend 8.5M per for 2 years on a 7th/8th inning guy that is NOT lights out. Hector is good, valuable, but he is not lights out and not at that price
I think you do have to spend that, if they're not guys you can pull from your system. (Which the Phillies cannot)
Obviously, the Phillies needed to add relievers this winter. That was BEFORE losing Neris. Now they need +1: Add relievers, and replace Neris.

Perspective: Right now, depending what you think Seranthony can deliver in 2022, this team's #1 reliever is Connor Brogdon.
They could sign 2 good arms for the bullpen now, and their next-best depth guys are Brogdon/Alvarado/Bradley. Neris is better than any of them.

I think we'll end up seeing them (1) getting a "traditional closer" (hopefully not in a dumb trade) and then (2) go last year's route again: Bring a bunch of guys to spring training and hope they compete with Dominguez/Brodgdon/Alvarado/Bradley/Coonrod for "depth" in the "mix"
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Christopher wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:56 am I think we'll end up seeing them (1) getting a "traditional closer" (hopefully not in a dumb trade) and then (2) go last year's route again: Bring a bunch of guys to spring training and hope they compete with Dominguez/Brodgdon/Alvarado/Bradley/Coonrod for "depth" in the "mix"
You're probably right and boy does that suck ass. Would have much rather just given Neris and Gravemen combined Kimbrel money than run the risk of giving up actual stuff to get Kimbrel and pay him.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Yeah, to be clear, my "What I think they'll do..." is in no way an endorsement or wish. I agree that plan sucks ass, whether it's trading for Kimbrel, Hader or whoever.