Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

mrmountie

Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Post by mrmountie »

Oh yeah they'd only sign one of them, even if they had the "space" for both they wouldn't dare give out money to two players.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Who is the one player that the Phillies have been tied to that you DONT want?

For me that player is Chris Taylor.
- He will cost a draft pick
- He has positional flexibility, but look at his stats over the years...strikes out a ton and gives you average production, his stats are pretty similar to Odubel Herrera believe it or not, not that I am advocating for Odubel
- He will probably get a 3-4 year contract with an AAV of 17-21M per...NO thanks
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Poverty Mids lol.

Just remember when you talk yourself into believing, they gave a better prospect to get 700k back in the Galvis trade lol
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

mrmountie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 am I like Schwarber a lot (think they should have picked him up last year to platoon with Cutch/be Cutch insurance) and have been asking for them to trade for Nicky C on like a yearly basis going back to when he was a prospect in rumored Hamels deals but getting them now when they're going to get big bucks and calling that their big move instead of when they could have just done it before on more "reasonable" (don't give a shit how much they spend so whatever) deals and made the teams the last few years better is such a Phillies thing to do.
Good points all around on franchise woes. I'm growing more interested in the idea of Schwarber because, while he is limited defensively, his LH bat really helps to balance the lineup, which is a glaring need too.

But regardless, Schwarber signing would mean nothing if it's not in conjunction with 3-4 other things.

... P.S.: I cannot really get excited about Kiermaier, given his salary & his below-average bat, plus I know we'd lose any trade with the Rays
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I mean, if you want a cheap upgrade on CF defense, sign Kevin Pillar and bat him ninth. Spend your dollars on real bats

C Realmuto
1B Hoskins
2B Segura
SS Gregorious
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Pillar
RF Harper
DH Bohm
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

Now that the Mariners have dropped money on Ray, they should be short on cash to grab Bryant. I think that he’s the guy for the Phillies. His agent is Boras and he might want to hold out on getting Bryant signed. We’ll see. IMO this is going to be a long break in play. I don’t know how that would affect a players willingness to sign.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

MLB Trade Rumors guessed Bryant would get 6/160, and their predictions have been pretty accurate thus far. You just have to do that. It's the market rate; no more, no less. He is the bat they need to get this offense back toward what it was in 2019, then you go find a CF (probably) and preferably a LH for balance, which is why Schwarber makes so much sense. ... You add Bryant + Schwarber, get Hoskins healthy and get any kind of bounce-back from Gregorious, and then this becomes an offense others won't want to mess with.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Mets want one more bat and one more SP.

Man I am going to be pretty annoyed when they sign Bryant.
Michael Jack

Post by Michael Jack »

Boras is just smarter than most owners. Normally, his guys don't sign until late Feb./early March to maximize every option and squeeze the most money he can get. This year is different. He wanted to make sure he got top dollar for some of his guys before the agreement changes the rules, but is holding out some guys for later. I think Bryant falls in this category.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Guaranteed thing that's happen in the Kiermaier talks: Phillies are asking Rays to select their picks of better prospect(s) in exchange for covering some of Kiermaier's remaining salary.