Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2021 Offseason

Post by Christopher »

I wasn't thinking specifically. More along the lines of the joke that Otero sounds more intriguing than another round of Haseley/Moniak/Jankowski/Bonifacio, etc.

Can't wait until they sell us on Kevin Pillar as a perfectly sufficient CF glove/No. 8 hitter. (No. 9 with the DH, I guess)
mrmountie

Post by mrmountie »

Christopher wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 pm Can't wait until they sell us on Kevin Pillar as a perfectly sufficient CF glove/No. 8 hitter. (No. 9 with the DH, I guess)
Entirely possible and the sad thing is they could have just done that last year but were too cheap to even try and stoop that low.
TennPhan

Post by TennPhan »

The Phillies will have a tremendous load of things to get done when the lockout ends, but many other teams will as well. I just wish a solution was in sight.

I think they will sign a few more free agents and maybe make a few trades. It is hard to project moves until we have some idea of the new rules applicable to player signings, free agency, and team payroll.

I wish I had more confidence that there will be a start to spring training very soon. They are getting very close to a point at which they will be unable to open the season on time.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

What I've read is that the point of no return -- in terms of starting the season on time -- is Feb. 21-27. If they don't get a deal hammered out that gets camps open on March 1, there's basically no shot for the originally scheduled opening day.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

No surprise here. Awful ownership. Awful front office. Awful player drafting and development.

https://www.philliesnation.com/2022/02/ ... al-league/
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Universal DH is going to be part of the owner's offer, so probably going to be here in 2022
Buff

Post by Buff »

Happy Spring Training Day, that isn't Spring Training Day.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:53 pm Universal DH is going to be part of the owner's offer, so probably going to be here in 2022
Phillies will get right on that I'm sure, after they ... checks notes ... fill the other 2/3 of their outfield.

Everything is nicely aligned for Phillies ownership to claim that the hyper-shortened offseason (which is their fault) didn't allow them enough time for proper offseason recrafting of the roster and that it wouldn't have been "judicious" to throw money at Bryant, Castellanos, etc., before the post-lockout market had settled. Which nicely aligns everything for an 80-win season and a Harper trade request next winter.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:15 pm
FolesMVP09 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:53 pm Universal DH is going to be part of the owner's offer, so probably going to be here in 2022
Phillies will get right on that I'm sure, after they ... checks notes ... fill the other 2/3 of their outfield.

Everything is nicely aligned for Phillies ownership to claim that the hyper-shortened offseason (which is their fault) didn't allow them enough time for proper offseason recrafting of the roster and that it wouldn't have been "judicious" to throw money at Bryant, Castellanos, etc., before the post-lockout market had settled. Which nicely aligns everything for an 80-win season and a Harper trade request next winter.
Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?
Buff

Post by Buff »

Christopher wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:15 pm

Harper said the reason he signed here was he didn't want to move anywhere ever again. I for one believe him.

There's a lot of negativity swirling around the Phillies, and I just don't get it. Team will hopefully add a few pieces and be good to go. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I definitely see us as a playoff team this year.