1B Harper
2B Stott
SS Turner
3B Bohm
LF WIlson
CF Rojas
RF Castellanos
DH Schwarber

Given the predominance of Miami lefties, I see zero need to carry Jake Cave in this series. So probably Wilson and Pache as the last two spots. Hope Wilson delivers. Failure to acquire a RH platoon bat for left field will loom large if LHP is their downfall.
FolesMVP09

Re: 2023 Phillies Postseason News & Discussion

Post by FolesMVP09 »

and the Marlins getting Matt Moore for nothing - will now be an issue

MLB needs to do something about that for next year
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Ugh. I didn't even count him. Theoretically they have access to FIVE lefty relievers, though I can't imagine they roster all 5 of them.

Another plausible route by Thomson would be to start Marsh in LF and then save Wilson to pinch hit for him in a higher-leverage situation vs. a lefty reliever. In a perfect world, though, you'd really rather have a veteran for that PH spot, not a rookie.

Marsh has an October track record, and they need him to hit, so you can see Thomson opting for highest comfort level
wrench248

Post by wrench248 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:08 pm Ugh. I didn't even count him. Theoretically they have access to FIVE lefty relievers, though I can't imagine they roster all 5 of them.

Another plausible route by Thomson would be to start Marsh in LF and then save Wilson to pinch hit for him in a higher-leverage situation vs. a lefty reliever. In a perfect world, though, you'd really rather have a veteran for that PH spot, not a rookie.

Marsh has an October track record, and they need him to hit, so you can see Thomson opting for highest comfort level
Considering that the Phillies do not necessarily have enough quality RH batters, it wouldn’t surprise me if they did carry 5 LH relievers
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:08 pm Ugh. I didn't even count him. Theoretically they have access to FIVE lefty relievers, though I can't imagine they roster all 5 of them.

My bad Chris - they got him in Sept and he isn't eligible. Thus they DFAd him today
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:46 pm

My bad Chris - they got him in Sept and he isn't eligible. Thus they DFAd him today
No worries. Bullet dodged. Absolutely feels like the kind of situation that would bite the Phillies in the ass.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

All three Phillies-Marlins games will start at 8 p.m.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Obviously the hope is that Wheeler gives you 6-7 strong in Game 1 and the Phillies score 12+ runs.

With and beyond that, the Phillies can now go into full playoff mode with handling of the staff now.

First, you want to have one guy in mind each game in case, for whatever reason, the starter has to be pulled early. Strahm or Sanchez probably gets that job, depending on the situation and depending which one you'd rather have available later in the game for a high-leverage spot.

For the most part, Thomson had a pretty good touch with reliever usage last October. It helped that most of them really excelled and made him look good, but I think the key was looking at things situationally, not in terms of defined roles. Alvarado, Hoffman, Dominguez, Strahm, Sanchez, Kerkering, even Kimbrel and Soto, given them a lot of depth for various moments and matchups.
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Strider vs Sanchez twice is an advantage for the Braves

Braves bullpen was leaking oil down the stretch

If it went 5, at least we'd have Wheeler pitching the final game
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Joe Giglio
@JoeGiglioSports

The Phillies are the biggest underdogs of any team in the Division Series.