2022 Eagles Offseason Discussion

Moderator: FolesMVP09

Captain Obvious

Re: 2022 Eagles Offseason Discussion

Post by Captain Obvious »

headclown wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:49 pm I saw that he reworked his contract, but how does retiring affect his cap numbers versus being released?
I think I heard it saves about 7 million vs. dead cap money? Don't hold me to that.
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

headclown wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:49 pm I saw that he reworked his contract, but how does retiring affect his cap numbers versus being released?
A few hours before his press conference, Brooks signed a new contract with the Eagles that reduced his 2022 cap number from $19.4 million to $7.1 million, per a tweet from Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

The restructured deal will save the Eagles around $12 million in cap space this year.

According to Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap, Brooks’ cap charge in 2022 will reduce to $5.9 million after June 2, and Philadelphia will defer $9.8 million in dead money to 2023.
adamcru

Post by adamcru »

ConnieMack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:34 pm
A few hours before his press conference, Brooks signed a new contract with the Eagles that reduced his 2022 cap number from $19.4 million to $7.1 million, per a tweet from Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

The restructured deal will save the Eagles around $12 million in cap space this year.

According to Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap, Brooks’ cap charge in 2022 will reduce to $5.9 million after June 2, and Philadelphia will defer $9.8 million in dead money to 2023.
Wow, that's a crazy aspect of the CBA. Seems like a retiring player's cap hit should come off immediately.

Does anyone know how it works with the cap in the offseason? Can they go over by his '22 cap hit amount and then come back under after he is released on June 1? Or can they only use that space after he is released on June 1?
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

rob630

Post by rob630 »

I'm sorry to hear Brooks' playing days are over. Dude was an absolute stud. And he was very courageous in dealing with his depression, battling through it to return to the field. I wish him the very best. Maybe he will end up being an OL coach one day.
phtown

Post by phtown »

awfulstack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:41 pm https://twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1 ... 38435?s=21

If you want to be depressed
Watched the game live with a big group so I was anxious to watch the recording. Eagles 2nd possession down 7 after forcing a TB punt, Eagles faced a 3rd and 9. This was the first example in the Twitter post.

Hurts puts his head down and scrambles from a perfect pocket throwing a batted ball and near INT. That down displayed a disturbing lack of poise and regression in QB play. It went on all day while TB continued rushing wide against our right side to apply fake pressure. Hurts never settled in. Love the guys' intangibles but all the preparation and experience of the past two years produced no results in a big spot. And the consensus was the spot couldn't be too big for him.
headclown

Post by headclown »

Really starting to like the thought of DJ Chark....big kid who ran a sub 4.4 at the combine. He will be much cheaper then the headline names. This also allows you to not draft a WR in the 1st round again. I have been going back and forth with this, here is what I want to see in FA and the draft.

Big FA signings:
Marcus Williams S New Orleans. He will cost a lot, but he is a big upgrade over McLeod. 5/70 40M guaranteed
DJ Chark Big receiver with outstanding speed 4/50 30M guaranteed
Best #2 TE available

Draft:
15: best CB available
16 Devin Lloyd or best Pass rusher
19 Trade back in the draft and take SS Brisker from Penn State. maybe pick up a 3rd round pick...If Brisker is gone, take Jalen Pitre later in draft if available
2nd round If you took Lloyd in the first round, take the best DE available
3rd round, I would look for the best kick returner available....Eagles MUST upgrade this department
Need to get the best punter available...perhaps in the 5th or 6th round

After that, take best available....look for Howie to make some trades for assets next year
Last edited by headclown on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headclown

Post by headclown »

My ideal roster for the Eagles

Hope is you can trade both Reagor and Dillard

QB Hurts/Minshew
RB Sanders/Gainwell/Scott/Huntley...maybe he is your kick returner
WR Smith/Chark/Watkins/draft pick/warm body
TE Goedert/FA/Jackson/Stoll
OL Mialata/Seamulo/Kelce/Dickerson/Johnson/Driscoll/Anderson/Opeta/Toth/draft pick/draft pick

DL Graham/Cox/Hargrave/Sweat/Williams/Jackson/draft pick/draft pick
LB Lloyd/Edwards/Taylor/Bradley/Singleton/draft pick
CB Slay/draft pick/Maddox/McPhearson/Gowan/Scott
S Williams/draft pick/Epps/Wallace
K Elliot
LS Lovato
P Draft pick
FolesMVP09

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Eskin made a valid point today when advocating for trading for Watson as the best option at QB, despite his issues

With Brady retiring and Rodgers possibly going to Denver, not a lot of top tier QBS in the NFC, unlike the AFC. Watson would arguably be the best QB in the NFC

Having the best QB with a few good moves around him will keep you in the NFC title hunt for years

I am not advocating for the move, but it is food for thought
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

FolesMVP09 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:04 am Eskin made a valid point today when advocating for trading for Watson as the best option at QB, despite his issues

With Brady retiring and Rodgers possibly going to Denver, not a lot of top tier QBS in the NFC, unlike the AFC. Watson would arguably be the best QB in the NFC

Having the best QB with a few good moves around him will keep you in the NFC title hunt for years

I am not advocating for the move, but it is food for thought
Too much at risk IMO for Watson unless the deal falls right in their lap. Still believe Hurts is coachable and can win with him.

They have a lot of more issues of a priority, and can put a serious dent in their flaws this year through FA and draft.