Phillies' 2023 NL Playoffs NLCS Game #4: 10/20/23 Phillies(2-1) @ Diamondbacks(1-2) - 8:07pm

Moderator: Christopher

BelmontShore
Site Admin

Re: Phillies' 2023 NL Playoffs NLCS Game #4: 10/20/23 Phillies(2-1) @ Diamondbacks(1-2) - 8:07pm

Post by BelmontShore »

History repeating itself?

Last year, the game with the offensive explosion led to a suspect offensive attack for the games that followed.

They haven't made any adjustment to the mindset that led to that result. It must happen tomorrow with Wheeler starting or they go back to Philadelphia down 3-2.
awfulstack

Re: Phillies' 2023 NL Playoffs NLCS Game #4: 10/20/23 Phillies(2-1) @ Diamondbacks(1-2) - 8:07pm

Post by awfulstack »

BelmontShore wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:56 am History repeating itself?

Last year, the game with the offensive explosion led to a suspect offensive attack for the games that followed.

They haven't made any adjustment to the mindset that led to that result. It must happen tomorrow with Wheeler starting or they go back to Philadelphia down 3-2.

Relievers also on fumes last year too.

That was just awful baseball.

Errors

Wild pitches

Forgetting outs

Castellano and JTs at bats were terrible with a chance to add on.
wrench248

Post by wrench248 »

BelmontShore wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:56 am History repeating itself?

You and I discussed this yesterday. We were both right. The offense is totally fucked. Diamondbacks handed them two runs tonight and the Phillies struggled to get the others. Left runners on, swung for the fences and at crap.

I don’t think the offense is getting out of it and Wheeler/Nola are due for a letdown. Series probably ended tonight.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

Zero logical sense to Thomson tonight.

If you are pulling Sanchez that early and asking relievers to get that, 20 outs? You have to extend guys or give Lorenzen a chance to give you some innings.

He decided he’d push Hoffman for 1 and 2/3.

Then he pulls Dominguez when he had it going. If you make the decision to go for this game you have to ride the guys with the hot hand.

I think he is scared to think on his feet.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

wrench248 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:04 am You and I discussed this yesterday. We were both right. The offense is totally fucked. Diamondbacks handed them two runs tonight and the Phillies struggled to get the others. Left runners on, swung for the fences and at crap.

I don’t think the offense is getting out of it and Wheeler/Nola are due for a letdown. Series probably ended tonight.
I'm not fatalistic as you are.

They just missed a chance to end it today with Wheeler on the mound. I still expect them to win it in 6. If not, 7, I don't see the DBacks winning at CBP.

They need to make better decisions at the plate. They can't expect to win hitting HRs, there. Thomson needs to make better decisions with the bullpen. He should have kept Sanchez, Strahm and Dominguez in for longer, while avoiding Kimbrel.in any high leverage situations.
awfulstack

Post by awfulstack »

The advantage we had last night was having a starter while Arizona pitched a bullpen game.

Deciding to turn it into a bullpen game was just a decision that got him boxed in. His decisions after were not much better.

I don’t think they bounce back.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

awfulstack wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:05 pm The advantage we had last night was having a starter while Arizona pitched a bullpen game.

Deciding to turn it into a bullpen game was just a decision that got him boxed in. His decisions after were not much better.

I don’t think they bounce back.
Other than the Houston WS, they always bounce back. That's a hallmark of this team. I don't know why that changes now. They'll have to prove it that they can't bounce back because they've bounced back for 2 straight years.