Phillies' 2023 NL Playoffs NLCS Game #5: 10/21/23 Phillies(2-2) @ Diamondbacks(2-2) - 8:07pm

Moderator: Christopher

FolesMVP09

Re: Phillies' 2023 NL Playoffs NLCS Game #5: 10/21/23 Phillies(2-2) @ Diamondbacks(2-2) - 8:07pm

Post by FolesMVP09 »

Christopher wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:48 pm Go Phillies!
I'll be at the game. I can't give them any worse luck/karma than they've had the past two days. (I hope)
Please go to every game the rest of the way - TIA
Christopher

Re: Phillies' 2023 NL Playoffs NLCS Game #5: 10/21/23 Phillies(2-2) @ Diamondbacks(2-2) - 8:07pm

Post by Christopher »

I'll have more thoughts tomorrow, but this is the biggest thing about the game itself: Stott's two-out RBI single in the first inning was -- far and away -- the biggest hit of the game. The Inquirer wrote almost its entire article about Harper's steal of home for the second run. But that can't happen if Stott doesn't get on base and drive in the first run. .... If Stott doesn't get that hit, then we have the usually-fatal situation in which you let an ace off the hook in the first inning and then he rights himself. Wheeler pitched the whole game with a lead thanks to Stott, and it's just a different mentality for both teams. If it's 0-0, maybe the Schwarber/Harper HRs don't happen either. .... So Stott is my MVP on offense.

The second-biggest hit was Realmuto's home run. It was an inexplicable meatball pitch, but he didn't miss. 6-1 vs. 4-1 was all the difference in the world. The 8th and 9th would have been unbearable with just a three-run lead. It's really almost zero margin with the # of baserunners the bullpen allows.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Agreed on both points.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

IF they win one of the next two games, Thomson is going to have to try some new pitching approaches for the World Series.

Right now, they have ...

Trustable high-leverage guys: Alvarado, Hoffman, Strahm (that's it)

They really, at a minimum, need Dominguez to step up and become a second trusted righty. He's so inconsistent, though, and seems to allow a maddening number of baserunners.

I'm a little flummoxed on Kerkering. I think it's possible that the conditions of Chase Field messed with him a bit, and then he probably got to overthinking everything. In an absolute dream scenario, the Phillies build a huge lead in Game 6 and Kerkering can pitch the 7th or 8th, because honestly I want to see him pitch again before making a decision whether he can help them on the WS roster. They can't afford to take a guy they can't use vs. Astros or Rangers.

I cannot say enough about Bryson Stott. Like I wrote, he had the biggest hit of Game 5. He also had the biggest defensive play. Game-changer.

I'm not sure what to do about the batting order. I'm still inclined not to change it. The only logical move is swapping Realmuto and Bohm, but JT is just as inclined to dumb at-bats as anyone. And I really like JT's bat a little lower in the order, just when the pitcher maybe thinks he's gotten out trouble.

One thing I WOULD consider, given how he's hit in the postseason, is moving Marsh to 7th, and then the remaining righty -- whether it's JT, Castellanos or Bohm, moves to the 8 hole.
wrench248

Post by wrench248 »

Christopher wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:56 am I'll have more thoughts tomorrow, but this is the biggest thing about the game itself: Stott's two-out RBI single in the first inning was -- far and away -- the biggest hit of the game. The Inquirer wrote almost its entire article about Harper's steal of home for the second run. But that can't happen if Stott doesn't get on base and drive in the first run. .... If Stott doesn't get that hit, then we have the usually-fatal situation in which you let an ace off the hook in the first inning and then he rights himself. Wheeler pitched the whole game with a lead thanks to Stott, and it's just a different mentality for both teams. If it's 0-0, maybe the Schwarber/Harper HRs don't happen either. .... So Stott is my MVP on offense.

The second-biggest hit was Realmuto's home run. It was an inexplicable meatball pitch, but he didn't miss. 6-1 vs. 4-1 was all the difference in the world. The 8th and 9th would have been unbearable with just a three-run lead. It's really almost zero margin with the # of baserunners the bullpen allows.
Agree completely Chris. I think the other important highlight of the game was Wheeler escaping the 1st and 3rd with one out in the first with no runs scoring. Unlike Gallen, Wheeler was somewhat left off the hook and then settled in, turning in a gem.