The Phillies' 2023-2024 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Phillies' 2023-2024 Offseason

Post by Christopher »

Well, now we'll see how things play out. The remaining starting pitchers (Snell, Montgomery, Imanaga) are going to get a metric ton of money, paid the kind of coin that will make the Nola deal look like a bargain.

Things should move more quickly now on the market -- I suspect Boras will hold out Bellinger until late January, if needed, to find the most desperate team. Somber time for the Yankees, Giants & Mets, especially. I think the Phillies did what they needed to do; they look serious, made a serious offer and were not dismissed until the very end. Will it pay off with international free agents down the road?

Big thing now, I think, will be getting a bullpen arm. I don't underestimate the idea of Dombrowski making a move for an outfielder, but I don't think it's necessary.
Moviephreak

Post by Moviephreak »

Christopher wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:55 pm
Big thing now, I think, will be getting a bullpen arm. I don't underestimate the idea of Dombrowski making a move for an outfielder, but I don't think it's necessary.
I don't really want to see another season of Rojas flailing wildly at pitches and only connecting on like 1 out of every 100. Outfield help would be nice.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The time to see if Rojas can stick is the first half of the season. You can always bolster the outfield at the trade deadline.

If they block/replace Rojas now, they may as well trade him. If everyone else does their job, I think there's plenty of value in Rojas batting ninth and patroling CF.
Skyjack

Post by Skyjack »

Need to get an extension done with Wheeler PDQ.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Depressingly realized that Rhys Hoskins, especially if willing to DH, is a great fit for the Diamondbacks, who beat us despite basically have no DH.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Shintaro Fujinami could be an interesting low-risk, high-reward addition to the 2024 bullpen.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Monday would be a good day for the Phillies to sign a reliever and take our minds off the Eagles.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

It's been an especially slow winter, and many free agents are still out there, so I'd be surprised if we don't see another couple moves by the Phillies. They might also be in a position to be aggressive if the price drops significantly on an impact free agent.

Still out there. I've bolded the guys I'm most interested in. Don't shoot me for be interested in Lorenzen. We have no real #6 starter right now, and Lorenzen is not as bad as he was after his no-hitter. He could make 10 starts to eat innings and be a long guy.

-- Cody Bellinger
-- Blake Snell
-- Jordan Montgomery
-- Matt Chapman
-- Josh Hader
-- Jorge Soler
-- JD Martinez
-- Jordan Hicks
-- Rhys Hoskins
-- Robert Stephenson
-- Yariel Rodriguez

-- Aroldis Chapman
-- Michael Lorenzen
-- Justin Turner
-- Whit Merrifield
-- Hector Neris
-- Liam Hendriks
-- Adam Duvall
-- Clayton Kershaw
-- Joc Pederson
-- Tommy Pham
-- Michael Taylor
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Well, one of those relievers is off the board now.

Jordan Hicks has agreed to a four-year, $44 million contract with the Giants
vegasphilly

Post by vegasphilly »

Hoskins to the Brewers.....