The Phillies' 2023-2024 Offseason

Moderator: Christopher

Christopher

Re: The Phillies' 2023-2024 Offseason

Post by Christopher »

Also, it's just a one-year commitment.
Phillies aren't going to give Hoskins $100M following the 2024 season; Harper probably moves to 1B full-time for 2025.
This lets them go all in for 2024, which terrifyingly might also be Wheeler's last season here.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

There's some "Phillies prefer Snell over Nola" buzz

They're both getting bonkers money
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

Dombrowski officially announces that Harper will play 1B, only, going forward as a permanent position change. They have informed Hoskins, likely ending his time in Philadelphia.

[Phillies president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday the front office and manager Rob Thomson came to the conclusion Harper was the best option at first base. Harper, 31, made 36 starts there this season after Hoskins tore his ACL during spring training.

"We think he projects to be an outstanding first baseman," Dombrowski told the AP at the GM meetings. "He's willing to do whatever for the organization, and we just think for us, it makes us a better club now and as we go forward.

"It gives us a really good, athletic infield that can be together for years."]

They're right.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I get the Hoskins love, but business is business. He doesn't fit into the Phillies plans moving forward

He's an average fielder with a decent bat. He'll make a nice DH somewhere.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

So here's the lineup right now along with some notes from the beat writers about Dombrowski's thoughts

C: Realmuto (hopefully 40+ starts for Marchan in 2024)
1B: Harper full-tme
2B: Stott
SS: Turner
3B: Bohm
DH: Schwarber
LF: TO BE DETERMINED
CF: Marsh (no guaranteed spot for Rojas)
RF: Castellanos (Phillies will to listen on trades)

========

1. IMO, it would have been better to keep Hoskins if they are mulling trading Castellanos. That leaves two big holes at corner OF and a big need for RH power bats.

2. Too bad Canha has already been dealt to Detroit. I think he would have been a better fit for a right-handed bat in LF than some of the free agents (Pham, Duvall, etc.)
ConnieMack

Post by ConnieMack »

Christopher wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:54 pm So here's the lineup right now along with some notes from the beat writers about Dombrowski's thoughts

C: Realmuto (hopefully 40+ starts for Marchan in 2024)
1B: Harper full-tme
2B: Stott
SS: Turner
3B: Bohm
DH: Schwarber
LF: TO BE DETERMINED
CF: Marsh (no guaranteed spot for Rojas)
RF: Castellanos (Phillies will to listen on trades)

========

1. IMO, it would have been better to keep Hoskins if they are mulling trading Castellanos. That leaves two big holes at corner OF and a big need for RH power bats.

2. Too bad Canha has already been dealt to Detroit. I think he would have been a better fit for a right-handed bat in LF than some of the free agents (Pham, Duvall, etc.)
Phils front office seems to be enamored with Trout for some reason.

Trout and Castellanos are roughly the same age, maybe 6-7 months difference.

If Angel's want to move Trout they would have to take Casty in return and a couple B level Prospects

Casty is at 20 million and Trout 37, so Our part of Salry cap offset by plus 17 million.

Hoskins was making 12 million last season. He's gone so now we're at only plus $ 5 million offset for Trout.

Marsh in left, Rojas in Center and Trout in right.

If Angels want any of our top 5 prospects they'll have to eat at least half of Trouts salary.

Trout's a big injury risk, but on this team He could make a huge difference in the lineup, when healthy, but I'm not in favor taking on that 37 million with his injury risk.

Angels could sell Casty as a potential 30 HR guy who is in the lineup and doesn't miss much time.

Add Hader as the closer, resign Nola or a replacement and run it back.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

1. Problem is that Castellanos is making $20M per year for THREE more years. Trout is making $37M per year for SEVEN more years. Huge difference there.

2. I am not on board with the idea of Trout, but if they DO go in that direction, then Middleton MUST also go "all in on the pitching." That means all of:

-- Either Nola or Yamamoto (I don't want Snell)
-- add another SP for depth (which they didn't have in 2023)
-- Extend Wheeler now, because having Trout/Harper won't mean shit if they lose Wheeler after 2024

====================

Separately, I don't see a need for Hader.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Also, to be clear, it seems that most of the Trout chatter is a function of Irrational Twitter Bros. The real rumors around the Phillies all seem to be (correctly) focused on pitching, given that Nola is a free agent and Wheeler is a FA in less than one year.

Destiny Lugardo
@destiny_lugardo
There is no smoke.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Buster Olney
@Buster_ESPN
Phillies source: they aren’t interested in moving Nick Castellanos. They consider him an important part of the team and value his production, and have no intention of trading him.
2:21 PM · Nov 10, 2023
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I think the thing to keep in mind with Dombrowski is that he often strikes early with his first move or two, and he rarely loses games of musical chairs when there are limited resources.

I'd expect a resolution on the top-of-rotation piece sooner rather than later (late November?). It seems that they genuinely remain interested in Nola, but they're not going to wait forever. DD will pivot and get aggressive if necessary -- even if it's pivoting toward a guy who might not be our favorite choice.