GMAN

I think The Phillies

Post by GMAN »

might be good. Just a hunch.
Christopher

Re: I think The Phillies

Post by Christopher »

They are very very very good.

If they can get to October healthy and with Wheeler, Nola, Suarez pitching like this, they can win the World Series.

But October is a long ways away. The past two seasons, this team started slow and peaked at the perfect time (setting aside the dismal second half of the NLCS). Now, can it start start and maintain it through the end of the autumn? They have the talent to do so. They're going to need some trade deadline additions, most crucially to bolster high-leverage bullpen depth.

Right now, though, I think the three best teams in baseball are all in the National League (LA, PHI, ATL). So how the October bracket plays out is important, too. Phillies need to win the division, and I think they can.

If the Braves' left-handed 1-2 of Chris Sale/Max Fried is healthy in October, they can definitely exploit a Phillies weakness.
For the Dodgers, much is riding on Glasnow being an ace in October. Their 1 through 4 (Betts, Ohtani, Freeman, Smith) is the best in baseball, hands down. But their lineup is not dangerous top-to-bottom, like the Phillies.

Much still to unfold!
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Yeah we can't blow our load here in the middle of May. Long way to go.

This is a solid team playing very well. They'll get their "test" later when they play the Dodgers, and Yankees, Braves etc. Even if they take those teams and play .500 vs them, they can still cap the top seed in the NL.

They are pretty deep which is a plus. Still would like them to add another bench guy and a bullpen guy. Maybe (maybe) a vertan catcher that can come off the bench and break one open for you?

Team reminds me a lot of the 07-11 teams. Fun to watch and they were in each game all the way till the end.
GMAN

Post by GMAN »

The biggest issue is their hitting always disappears at once and it's everybody. It's what happened in the playoffs last year. It comes out of nowhere. I really hope they don't plan on going with an outfied of Rojas and Nick in the playoffs. Upgrade the outfield and get a back on the pen arm.
BelmontShore
Site Admin

Post by BelmontShore »

It's weird how they all lose a sound approach at the plate all at the same time. It takes one of them to have a big hit, then everyone relaxes and they can put up crooked numbers.

But the swinging at balls and watching strikes, chasing out of the zone and surrounding the ball up and down the lineup is infuriating.
GMAN

Post by GMAN »

Spencer Howard was throwing meatballs and we could not touch him. It's like a plague when we stop hitting and everybody catches it.